The Helicopter Services to Amarnath operates from two routes via Baltal & via Pahalgam. Earlier till 2009 the Helicopter used to operate from Baltal to Holy Amarnath Cave but in the Year 2010 the Amarnath Shrine board relocated the Helipad from Holy Cave to Panchtarni. From than onwards the Helicopter operates from Holy Cave to Panchtarni.
Amarnath Yatra by Helicopter via Baltal
Baltal is located 15kms north of Sonmarg. The Helicopter services operates from Baltal till Panchtarni. From Panchatarni the Yatris have to trek for 5 kms to reach Holy Amarnath Cave. After darshan the yatris have to come back to Baltal to Catch the flight from Panchtarni to Baltal.
Advantages of taking Helicopter from Baltal:
1.It is Comparatively shorter route than Pahalgam.
2.There are two Helicopter Companies which operates from Baltal route.
Disadvantages of taking Helicopter from Baltal:
1. There are no Hotels in Baltal. The Guests have to stay either in the Tents at Baltal or in Hotels at Sonmarg which is located 15kms from Baltal. There are few decent hotels in Sonmarg but during Yatra season most of them are Sold out.
2. Only BSNL Connection works in Baltal.
3. If the Yatris are not able to come back to Baltal Helipad by 5:30PM, they have to spend the night in Tents at Baltal because the Baltal – Srinagar highway is closed due to Security reasons.
Amarnath Yatra by Helicopter via Pahalgam Pahalgam is located 96 Kms from Srinagar. This is the most convenient route to reach for the Yatris who are planning to go to Amarnath Yatra by Helicopter.
Advantages of taking Helicopter from Pahalgam:
1. As Pahalgam is a famous tourist Spot, there are numerous Hotels to choose from as per the Clients requirements & budget.
2. Unlike Baltal all the Mobile Connections works in Pahalgam
Disadvantages of taking Helicopter from Pahalgam:
1. The Package cost is comparatively higher in Pahalgam route because the Helicopter tickets are expensive.